Grangetown Baptist Church
1865 – 2015
The English Baptist Church at Lower Grange orginated with the Church at Tredegarville, Cardiff. They would meet for Sunday School and preaching services over at “Morley’s Stable” on the corner of Earl Street. However, numbers became such that a move to a larger premises became imperative.
The Church cost £400 to build and was erected on our present site and opened on
8th December 1875.
In 1881 a ‘Formation Service’ was held, and Grangeteown Church became an Independent Church, and the first list of members contained 70 names of those who were transferred from Tredegarville to form the Grangetown Church. There was a steady growth in numbers, and a scheme was submitted to convert the church building into a Schoolroom with serveral classrooms, and to build a new Church. The new Church and Sunday Schools were opened in January 1902. The Sunday school was the largest in Cardifff, numbering about 1,300. The church numbered approximately 250. The Grangetown Church had become a great centre amid a teeming population of the working class for a philanthropic and religious work.
During the 150 years the church has been blessed with many Pastors and faithful members. The Church of Grangetown maintains its witness for christ in the neighbouring vicinity and throughout the world by prayer. The existence and survival of such a local Church is a sign that its teaching and principles are as relevant and necessary today as they were in 1865.